Welcome to this course! I hope you’re excited to learn all things hand-painted.
You’ve kicked off an extremely fun, messy, paint-covered journey.
I’ve spent years colouring animations in Photoshop, exploring how I could get the most hand made feel. But no matter how much effort I put in, I’m never as delighted by the outcome as I am when the animation was coloured in ‘real life’.
I still want to use software to create my reference animations though - we need to be savvy with our time.
In this course I’m going to show you…
- Overviews of how I storyboard and create animatics.
- Tips and tricks for creating a reference animation in your software of choice (I’ll be using Photoshop).
- How to prepare your reference animation as contact sheets, ready for printing.
- What materials you can use for your final animation.
- Case studies of multiple projects I’ve done, using a range of mediums.
- Advice for painting/drawing by hand.
- How to scan in your frames, so they can be edited in After Effects.
- How to navigate After Effects and use it to composite your hand painted animation.
- How to render out your final piece, to be used however you like!
I hope this course is the starting point for all sorts of wonderful experiments and outcomes!
A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR TUTOR
I’m an animator from London and have been working as an animation director since I graduated in 2014. I’ve used Photoshop for pretty much every project!
I direct short films, usually between 2 and 6 minutes, about all sorts of subject matters - false memories, being evil, artificial intelligence, parenthood, refugee experiences, poetry, discrimination, anger, so on. I’ve had the pleasure of creating these animations for the New York Times, CNN, Unicef, Princeton, the School Of Life, Penguin Books, the RSPCA and more. My favourite thing about working with such a variety of clients and subjects is that I get to learn about each of them. It’s never boring and I’m constantly being challenged with new information!
For the last 6+ years I’ve been teaching, mentoring and lecturing at a range of fantastic institutions. I’m still running workshops and mentoring regularly - I love chatting to students about their ideas and process.
- Cel Animation Workshops at Hyper Island Karlskrona (2020 - current)
- Visiting Tutor and Guest Lecturer at Kingston University (Illustration Animation BA) (2018 - current)
- Tutor/writer of Photoshop Animation Course at The Art Academy (2016-18)
- Mentor at She Drew That (Animation Programme) (2021 - current)
- Mentor at Created Academy (Motion Design Courses) (2018 - 2021)